Background of Ecocooling Innovation
Ecocooling’s innovation began with two physicists that discovered that ionizing the conventional cool air flow replaces metal cutting fluids in metal machining process.
- Since 1989 EcoCooling has acquired the rights and patented the technology of replacing metal cutting fluids, to be utilized at workshops globally, eliminating the need for metal cutting fluids and emulsions
- For decades there has been a strong and clear need to get totally rid of metal cutting fluids. Cutting fluids cause significant pollution and occupational danger to health, and the purchase, maintenance and disposal of fluids is a significant cost to the workshops
- During the past three decades EcoCooling team has experimented, industrially researched and tested the new technology, and now have a product that is ready for production
- EcoCooling System is an embedded system, that generates the ionized air, which is blown to cutting surface of the workpiece
- Using the EcoCooling System no metal cutting fluid is necessary to cool or lubricate the workpiece and the cutting tool. Instead of fluids ionized cool air is blown from the EcoCooling unit to the working zone
- When using EcoCooling the metal cutting tools last longer, the workpieces are not contaminated with fluids, chips are reusable, and the surface roughness of the workpieces is also improved
- These features of the innovation yield to many significant advantages and benefits for the workshops globally
EcoCooling will reduce costs, improve working efficiency and work quality, while simultaneously cutting lead time in the workshops
At the same time EcoCooling has significant positive impact on environment (CO2 emissions and toxic waste) and occupational health
Machining without Compromise
EcoCooling replaces toxic metal working fluids
Ecocooling delivers outstanding machining workpiece quality while cooling and sustaining the cutting tool without the use of coolants. Ecocooling improves Machining Efficiency at an atomic level.
The unique EcoCooling System revolutionizes the machining process, by utilizing dry cooling and dry lubricating Ionized-Air Flow.
The system consists of a typical air compressor, a dry air-cooling unit and an integrated built-in electronic control unit for ionization of dry cooled air.
The metal cutting is a combination of mechanical and electrochemical processes. The electrochemical process in the cutting method is based on electron loss and changes at the atomic level. This typically impacts the heat generation, surface adhesions and roughness, and tool wear etc. The ions generated by the EcoCooling system support the workpiece machining/cutting process on the tool edge and rake area by penetrating to the cutting zone and providing lubrication and cooling functions traditionally accomplished with emulsion fluids.
The Science of EcoCooling
- The metal cutting is a combination of mechanical and electrochemical processes
- Electrochemical process in the cutting method is typically based on electron loss and changes in the atom level. This usually has an impact for the heat generation, surface adhesions and roughness, tool wear etc.
- EcoCooling utilizes cooled ionized-air flow in the working zone
- Ionized-air has a lot of ions (gaseous mediums), which are supporting workpiece cutting process on the tool edge and rake area by penetrating in the cutting zone
- Ionized-air forms dry lubricant (electrochemical) which decreases cutting friction and generated heat, and speeds-up oxide layer formation
Advantage without Compromise
EcoCooling reduces operating costs and investments and is environmentally friendly, Green technology!
Reduced costs and improved quality
No costs for metal fluids purchasing.
No costs for disposal of used fluids.
Reduced energy consumption.
Potentially eliminates need to wash the workpiece.
EcoCooling improves the surface quality.
Increased Tool Lifetime & Efficiency
EcoCooling has proven to extend the lifetime of the machine tools.
EcoCooling also allows higher cutting speeds, faster with difficult materials
No capital investments in separation solution
No need to invest in a costly separation solution(s).
Approximately 10% of companies invest USD 150-200,000 in their own separation certificate.
No Health or Environmental burden
Coolants mixed with air creates an aerosol, which can lead to severe respiratory and other diseases for machining personnel.
Removal of coolants reduces CO2 emissions.
Up to 80% more value from separated chips
Using EcoCooling the chips are not contaminated with cutting fluids which increases the value of reclaimed chips.
Cost savings gained from process optimization, and a new revenue stream from the reuse of clean chips opens new business opportunities.
VALIDATED BY INDUSTRY PARTNERS
EcoCooling has been extensively proven in world class Universities, Institutes, and by industrial partners on a commercial scale.
The more difficult component or thougher material the better quality difference.
EcoCooling’s end product shows significant objective quality improvements compared to emulsion. The more challenging the product or material, the better the results.
Major Flank Wear
Minor Flank Wear
Completely oil and chemical free
Traditional Solution: Based on mineral oil and other chemicals
Clean workpiece and chips
The workpiece and chips remain clean, and chips can be recycled
Traditional Solution: The workpiece must be cleaned and washed after machining, and chips are contaminated with residues
Workpiece surface roughness
Provides improved surface quality
Traditional Solution: Surface quality is on the par
Extended tool-life with superior surface quality
Traditional Solution: Shorter tool-life and more prone to tool breakage
Total machining costs
Improved machining efficiency due to the improve speed and depth
Traditional Solution: More constrained speed and depth
Occupational health of personnel
Exceeds increasing authority requirements for ecological production methods, and improves occupational health and safety in machining
Traditional Solution: Coolants’ residues cause with the inhalation air, respiratory and other severe diseases like skin allergies for machining personnel